Apartments.com lists the top three reasons renters choose to live with a roommate as:
1. Saving money
2. Cannot afford to live alone
3. The desire to afford a nicer place
And that's why Apartments.com is running a Roommate of the Year Video Contest.
Now, I know you might not be thinking of yourself as video material, but consider this:
The winner receives free rent for one year plus an additional $10,000.
I know, I had to read that twice, too. Wouldn't that money be a godsend in this economy?
Okay, now, you know you don't get it for nothing.
Here's what to do:
Enter in one of five categories. Entries begin today, May 18 and run through June 30.
Your entry goes in one of five Roommate Contest Categories:
- The Coolest Crib – for the roomie with the coolest stuff;
- The Loveable Compulsive – this roomie cooks, cleans and pays the bills ensuring the apartment is always in order;
- The Superhero – everyone has a hidden talent, this category is for the roomies that possess unique skills making their roommate value soar;
- The Purr-fect Pet – what makes a renter the best roommate to their pet(s);
- The Individualist – for the all-around “great guy or gal” who can squeeze every ounce of creativity and originality into an entry to make it stand out from the rest.
Entries will be narrowed down to a field of up to 15 semi-finalists across the five categories by a panel of qualified judges.
And then...America votes! The top five finalists, determined by a combination of public vote and the Apartments.com judging panel, will be flown to New York City to participate in the “Roommate of the Year” finalist event
The Winner, picked by popular vote, will receive The Ultimate Bailout: Free Rent for One Year Plus $10,000.
Four runner-up winners will each receive $500.