Saturday, April 10, 2010

(The Perfect Accompaniment to) Easter Leftovers

I always make ham at Easter. Here's a pic of our Easter meal, with ham, scalloped potatoes, salad, fruid and a pina colada bundt cake with buttercream glaze I made for dessert.

I don't know why, but ham > Easter as turkey > Thanksgiving in my mind.

Which is great, because we do like ham.

But the kids? They don't like leftovers. So I have to "disguise" them. And if I can get some veggies in with the ham, that's even better.

So my favorite recipe for leftover ham is my own take on a Ham and Swiss Ring Around.

Here's the ingredients (I'm estimating amounts, because I never measure):

Two refrigerated tubes of crescent roll dough.

One small-sized package frozen chopped broccoli, mostly thawed (in warm water and drained or in microwave). I hate to admit this, but I actually used less than the whole package.

Leftover ham, diced in food processor (about two cups works well with this recipe)

Swiss cheese, grated (1 cup)

Parsley to taste

And..my newest discovery!

In the past, at this point, I'd add some diced onion and dijon mustard and maybe a little lemon juice and fool around with it until it tasted right.

But now? I just add about 3 Tbsp of French's Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce. I was sent some of this when it first came out (look for it on your shelves now), and thought it made a great dip for pretzels and sharp cheddar cheese, which it does.

But it also does double-duty in my Ham and Swiss Ring-Around, so I can cut out a few ingredients and have a savory, slightly sweet taste. I just don't use the word "mustard" around he kids, because they think they don't like mustard.

But they love the Ham Swiss Ring Around made with the French's Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce!

By the way, to finish that Ring, you want to set aside the crescent roll dough and mix all the other ingredients together in a big bowl, just glopping them all together.

Then take most of the crescent dough, unroll the triangles, and make a ring with the points out. I usually reserve a few triangles because they are longer on one side and so I never end up with a perfect ring.

Then you glop your mix onto the ring and fold the points up over the top. Use any leftover triangles to "patch up" the ring so the filling doesn't spill out the bottom, though it is find to let it peek through the top in places.

Cook at 375 for around 15 minutes, checking to make sure it doesn't get too dark on the bottom. This is why I think the pizza stone is a MUST, because it really gets the Ring done all the way through without over-cooking the bottom.

French’s Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce complements all kid and family favorites such as chicken nuggets but is also ideal for dipping other finger foods like veggies, fish sticks, French fries and even pretzels. It is available in a 12 oz. squeeze bottle and has a suggested retail price of $2.49. I received a sample of French's Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce, as indicated in this post.

No comments:

Cool Moms Rule! is in full compliance of the new FTC rules concerning Bloggers. I disclose on all posts where a product was received for free and/or if there was any kind of financial compensation involved.