Thursday, May 17, 2007

We All Matter

I'm thinking of going back to school to get my MBA, and one of the problems I'm having is figuring out where I could fit into the workforce after all this time as a SAHM. I've seriously been considering an online university because the busy demands of raising two boys mean I really need a flexible program, but I've been nervous about committing to actually doing it.

Here's why: I feel like I have a lot to offer an employer when I do get back in the flow, just from having been a Mom: organizational skills, focus, and the flexibility and resourcefulness to change things up when I need to. But the big question is: will employers see that in me? And in this day and age, does anyone really understand the individual in the whole huge corporate complex?

So when I read this, I felt encouraged.

A woman named Sara Orem, a PhD and a faculty member over at Capella University, which is an accredited, completely online university (yay!), has
co-written a book entitled, "Appreciative Coaching: A Positive Process for Change". And she might have been talking just to me.

This Sara Orem, in addition to her spot on the faculty at Capella University's School of Business and Technology, has her own coaching firm. She's also given presentations in Appreciative Inquiry at both The NODA (National Organization Development Network) and the International Coach Federation conferences that meet each year. So, she's an expert in her field, and she obviously knows what she is talking about in her book.

And just what does she have to say in her book? Well, in a nutshell, it boils down to this: people who feel they are achieving something, who have specific ideals they want to meet and a plan for getting there--these people flourish in the workforce. And if a supervisor can motivate his workers to think and act in these ways, the corporation will flourish, too.

Sounds like common sense, doesn't it? But what the book does is really explain how these managers and supervisors can elicit these behaviors from their employees.

The book is broken down into four simple sections: Discovery, Dream, Design and Destiny. It's designed to instruct pretty much anyone who supervises others how to inspire their workers and give them a sense of empowerment in the workforce.

So, when the corporate sector understands that we are all people with our own hopes, dreams and strengths, and then encourages us to develop them, the corporations are successful. It's a completely win-win situation.

To me, it's just like parenting: you encourage your children to hope, dream and plan, and you will be rewarded with successful children!

As you can see, I'm already sold on this concept.

How about you?

Here's some info on the (totally online!) Capella University:

Accredited by The Higher Learning Commission.
Member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
Capella currently offers 82 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 16 certificate programs.
For more information, please visit Capella.edu or call 1-888-CAPELLA (227-3552).


(This blog post is based on information provided by Blogitive. For more information, please visit Blogitive.com)

No comments:

Cool Moms Rule! is in full compliance of the new FTC rules concerning Bloggers. I disclose on all posts where a product was received for free and/or if there was any kind of financial compensation involved.