It is also the most preventable and curable if detected early (yay!).
So before everyone runs out to soak up some rays take this opportunity to be screened for skin cancer and grab some of the AVEENO® Brand’s latest sun care products for FREE!
For the third year in a row, the AVEENO® Brand is hitting the road again with The Skin Cancer Foundation and its “Road to Healthy Skin” Tour, a program that has been instrumental in educating people nationwide about skin cancer detection and prevention.
QUICK FACTS and TIPS from Dermatologist Jeanine Downie:
- You should wear a sunscreen with an SPF 30 or higher everyday of the year—rain, snow or shine—because your skin is still being exposed to lethal UV rays.
- Many people believe that they will become Vitamin D deficient by wearing sunscreen; according to Dr. Downie, this is false! As a population, we receive more than enough Vitamin D through our diets.
- People with darker skin, often believe that they do not need to wear sunscreen. Again false, says Dr. Downie! The threat of skin cancer exists for all skin tones and races.
- More than 3.5 million skin cancer cases in two million people are diagnosed annually and one in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime.
- The Tour will visit over 80 locations through September where consumers will have the opportunity to receive a FREE full-body skin cancer screenings in a private room inside of the Tour’s 38-foot customized RV, conducted by local dermatologists (Visit skincancer.org for the full tour schedule).
- Over the past two years, more than 6,500 people have received free screenings, and of those screened, more than 2,000 potential skin cancers and pre-cancers were found, including 116 suspected cases of melanoma.
- The AVEENO® Brand will be distributing samples of CONTINUOUS PROTECTION® Sunblock Lotion SPF 55 as well as the new POSITIVELY AGELESS™ Sunblock Lotion SPF 70 for Face, featuring the latest breakthrough in sun protection: ENVIROBLOCK™ Triple defense technology.
- The AVEENO® Brand has partnered with TerraCycle™ to give new life to empty AVEENO® Product tubes by ‘upcycling’ tubes collected at tour stops into eco-friendly items, such as household items, that will then be available for purchase at major retailers nationwide.
Aveeno says the "anti-aging sun protection helps prevent fine lines and wrinkles." While I wouldn't doubt this, as it is just common sense, I did not use the product long enough to really test that out.
There is a full schedule for the "Road to Healthy Skin Tour" on skincancer.org, so you can check the dates (and even search by state) to see when it is coming to your town!
Aveeno sent me their Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion, ranging from SPF 30 to SPF 85, Positively Ageless Sunblock lotion in SPF 70 (for the face) and SPF 55 (for the body), to facilitate my review. The factual information provided in this post regarding skin cancer and the importance of sunblock in skin cancer prevention was provided by Aveeno and dermatologist Jeanine Downie.