Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Red


With the Fourth of July coming up, I'm thinking Red, White and Blue! And when I think red, I think strawberries!

I love cold strawberries in a bowl with just a touch of sugar, or a few sliced strawberries on top of my cereal. And for a special treat, strawberries in shortcake are yummy!

I'm in luck this year, too, because the California Strawberry Commission (yes, there's a commission!) says this year's strawberry harvest was even better than expected, with ripe, red, bursting-with-flavor strawberries overflowing your grocery store shelves.

Here's my personal favorite Fourth of July (or any holiday) strawberry recipe:



Mom's Fruit Cup (this is my Mother's specialty!)

Ingredients:
2 cups Red, ripe strawberries, sliced into halves or quarters
1 qt orange juice, your favorite brand
1 small jar maraschino cherries, including juice
2 peeled, cored, sliced apples
6 bananas, sliced
flaked coconut

Optional:
1 small can mandarin oranges
1 kiwi, sliced
1 carambola, sliced (star fruit)


Directions:
Mix all but coconut together in order of ingredients; the o.j. and juice from maraschino cherries make your base. You will have a lovely fruit cup in a delicious sweet red syrup.

Sprinkle coconut over top just before serving.

Makes enough dessert for your family gathering!

No comments:

Cool Moms Rule! is in full compliance of the new FTC rules concerning Bloggers. I disclose on all posts where a product was received for free and/or if there was any kind of financial compensation involved.